[Ti] What kind of Powerbook G4 does everyone have?

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Mon Mar 17 21:46:08 PST 2003

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 10:56 PM, Mark Dorset wrote:

> Interesting - I am currently using an 800mhz tibook and have just
> ordered the 1ghz model. Can you tell me if you've noticed much
> difference between the two? (graphics or cpu speed, etc?)

Absolutely none.  I can't tell any difference running VirtualPC 6.0
with Windows 2000 Pro, Architosh, or Matlab 6.5 R13.  It's possible,
working in Photoshop, there might be some slight difference but it's
not noticeable to me in real world usage.  You'd have to measure the
difference in thousanths of a second in time required to complete a
task.

I also have a dual 1GHz PowerMac that I use for CAD work, 3D modeling,
and running finite element analysis.  A fairly complicated finite
element problem that will take the PowerMac 5-10 minutes to grind out
the results, will totally choke the 1GHz Ti.  SMP (Symmetrical Multiple
Processing), and the additional RAM that multiple processors can
address, gives a quantum performance leap compared to processor clock
speed increase.  To increase clock speed on a particular processor
design you normally have to bump core voltage on the cpu.  That
ultimately generates more power dissipation.  I prefer more processors
running at slower speed and temperature to a single cpu clocking
ultra-high frequency and becoming unstable when it reaches beyond 75%
of the range of it's safe operating temperature.
--
Chris