[Ti] Free nationwide wireless internet

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Thu Mar 20 08:08:00 PST 2003

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 10:46  AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> Is there a direct relation between the two methods of connection that
> makes one preferred? Is GPRS always going to be faster than CSD?

CSD is limited to 9600bps. GPRS is faster. I've heard that current
consumer devices are experiencing 10-115kbps
<http://www.cellular-news.com/gprs/what_is_gprs.shtml>.

> My ATT plan gives me unlimited minutes of voice and I want to use a
> Bluetooth connection to use the Ti68 for net access but I'm wondering
> if I'm going to take a speed hit in doing so.

It's a moot point. You can't do CSD with ATT's GSM system. Period.

> Is it always possible to use voice minutes or do some carriers limit
> that ability?

ATT doesn't allow/enable it, T-Mobile is either/or (CSD or GPRS), and
I'm not sure about Cingular. Those are the three major GSM players in
the U.S.

Mark