[Ti] Free nationwide wireless internet

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Thu Mar 20 14:55:43 PST 2003

At 2:33 PM -0800 3/20/03, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>Has ATT changed things in the last 6 months?  I accomplished this with a previous Ti68 using my minutes only. I did return that phone due to the ridiculously lousy reception in the areas I travel. But with the recent unlimited plan, I opted in again figuring that I'd get use of my data access needs on the road where signal was present. But the question is still, did they stop this or did I just figure out how to do what many think is not possible?

AT&T Wireless did support data calls (carrier switched) with some TDMA phones. They probably still support this for existing accounts, and some phone models, but the sales people weren't sure if they had that availability for new phones.

As for GSM, AT&T Wireless 'blocks' such modem dialing. You can only use GPRS. Cingular, on the other hand, could never tell me how to connect to GPRS but worked fine for normal modem dialing.

As one post noted, the person using 2 family plan phones for free ISP access did use T-Mobile, not Cingular.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)