VirtualPC and Network Connect Problem....suddenly, illogically :=)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 23 08:08:37 PST 2003

I'm running VPC 6 with XP, Win2k Pro, and [soon] Redhat Linux, and
last night I booted XP, and all of a sudden it isn't resolving dns
operations.

I had 'Shared Network', and all that, set in the Settings for the
image in VPC, and for months it was fine. I 'saved' XP, and booted
Windows 2000 Pro, and the same thing: IE and Netscape 'couldn't find
the server'. With 2k Pro I noticed I had a Yahoo Messenger
installation, so I launched Yahoo Msgr, and it connected immediately.

I'm no expert, but really, Yahoo Messenger has to either connect via
TCP or  UDP , no other way around it. So, how can an instant
messenger app connect, yet the browsers all get nowhere?

I tested a whole bunch of sites in all browsers, in both XP and
Win2k, always the same result. I hadn't used VPC for 2 weeks, but it
was always making connections through my Ti-books ports, and
recognizing firewire and usb devices with zero problem, now this...
I'm mystified.

~flipper