[Ti] Battery Charge Life?

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Mar 24 02:08:03 PST 2003

At 04:50 -0500 24-3-2003, T.L.Miller wrote:
>Mon, Mar 24, 2003 8:42 AM hutley at geneva-link.ch Trevor J. Hutley said:
>
>>	My battery lifetime (end of life was when the capacity fully
>>charged was only 4 minutes
>>	instead of 4 hours) was almost exactly two years.
>
>Sitting unused, a TiBook 400 battery shouldn't lose 80% of its charge in
>10 days, should it?

Tom - by far the best measure of the state of the battery is "minutes
available when fully charged", because we have a target value for
that for a "perfect battery" (eg 4 hours).

If the battery is in poor condition - as judged by that parameter -
then I expect that it will also lose its charge quickly when unused.
80% of charge lost in 10 days does not sound impossible for a poor
battery.  But I do not have any data on that, as I never leave my Ti
unused.......

Charge it up fully, then disconnect and see how many minutes you have
left.  Let  me know what you find.

If it less than 30, your battery is in poor condition.
As I said, when my got below 10 then to 4, it was time for a new one.

You could fairly point out to potential purchaser of your Ti-400 that
the battery is near the end of its life.    That would be a nice
thing to do, as not everyone is aware of the 2-year life of a Li-ion
battery.

regards,  Trevor