Not recognizing RAM after battery drain

Kevin Constantine kevin.constantine at uconn.edu
Tue Mar 25 21:44:12 PST 2003

So i hadn't used my Ti400 10.2.4 in about a week, and it was asleep and
predictably the battery drained and it shut off.  The interesting thing
occurred when i plugged it in and started it up.  When it booted, it
seemed really sluggish and the hard drive was being accessed *a lot* so
I ran top from the terminal and discovered that the powerbook only
recognized 64MB of RAM.  I then proceeded to check the system profiler
to find that although there is a 256 dimm in one slot and a 128 dimm in
the other, it was registering as having the top slot empty and the
bottom one as only having 64 MB.  I rebooted several times, and each
time it was the same problem.  However once i did a full shut down and
then restarted, it registered all of the RAM.

I'm not really writing to request help, but more to report this
happening, see if anyone has any ideas as to why, and to let others
that this might happen to, not to freak out, a shut down should fix it.

cheers
Kevin