[Ti] 15" or 17"?

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Thu Mar 27 14:50:48 PST 2003

At 11:36 AM -0500 3/27/03, Andrew Donovan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am about to purchase a Powerbook G4. I am trying to decide between
>the 15" 1Ghz and the 17". I will be doing audio recording and mixing
>and graphic design work. Screen size, bluetooth, airport, and OS9
>bootability are not issues. Size, weight, and price are minor
>issues. RAM speed, graphics speed, and battery life could be an
>issue if there was a major difference.
>
>Which will be a more reliable and useful machine?
>
>Will the aluminum construction, more solid illuminated keyboard,
>rubber-mounted hard drive and new (better?) design of the 17" make
>it better?
>
>Or does the fact that the 15" has been around a long time and
>hopefully been refined and the problems worked out, make it better?
>
>Are there still existing problems with the 15" 1Ghz? Do the keys
>still imprint on the screen? Is it still flimsy in construction? Any
>others?
>
>Opinions and information are greatly appreciated. What should I buy!?

If size weight and price don't matter, then obviously go with the 17.
The only other disadvantage of the 17 that I can think of is the
cables coming out of the sides, which for some strange reason, some
people seem to like.

The 17 will have better performance because of the DDR RAM and newer
graphics chip.

I have both a 17 and a 15.  The 15 is way more portable, the 17 is
better to impress friends and Windoze loosers with.

Then to take this a step further, if portability is really not an
issue, then forget the PowerBook and get a PowerMac dual 1.42 and a
23" Cinema display.

     Sherman