[Ti] Backup system disk

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Fri Mar 28 16:36:27 PST 2003

--On Friday, March 28, 2003 08:29 PM +0000 c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk wrote:

> I'd like to copy my system disk so I can keep a copy at work as well as at
> home. I don't have a superdrive, but a colleague does. Is it possible to
> make a copy of the disk using said superdrive with iDVD?

If it's OS9, you can drag-copy it. If it's OS X, you need carbon copy cloner or some similar utility because there are a lot of invisible files and links and a simple drag-copy does not get everything right. You also need to set the "bootable" parameter when cloning to make sure that it will boot when you restore it. I don't think you can accomplish this with iDVD, but others will have to chime in on that since I've never used it.

Usually a small to medium firewire drive is recommended as part of the regular TiBook accessory kit for this very purpose. Larger ones are more flexible and useful if you're willing to pay more.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com