[Ti] Question: Airport Extreme vs. original Airport?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Sat Mar 29 08:24:57 PST 2003

On 3/29/03 10:06 AM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>>> Huh? Distance for 802.11b or 802.11g is the same distance. But the more
>>> expensive version of the Extreme has an antennae port already built in and
>>> with that antennae, you can extend the distance for any computers regardless
>>> of their being Extreme or older.
>>
>> I was only quoting what is stated in the Apple docs that came with the
>> Airport... I was a bit surprised as well that they only guarantee a range of
>> 50 feet with 802.11g.
>
> I don't think they guarantee anything but the Apple statement is that the
> standard distance is 150'. I think you might take another look at the docs cuz
> I think you may have misread it.
>
> http://www.apple.com/airport/
>
> The only 50 number is the amount of users that can typically be supported at
> one time.

Just to clear this up, for both the 50 and the 150 statements...
Here it is...from the apple site:

"Even with its increased performance AirPort Extreme is compatible with the
industry-standard 802.11b wireless networking protocol, which means all
AirPort products, as well as Wi-Fi certified 802.11b wireless products, will
work with AirPort Extreme 5.  For higher performance you need to have both
the Airport Extreme Card and the AirPort Extreme base Station.  The range of
AirPort Extreme is up to 50 feet at 54 Mbps and up to 150 feet at 11 Mbps."

Cheers
FRED