[Ti] Power Supply plug

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 29 13:28:21 PST 2003

on 03/03/29 11:38, Eric L. Peters at E-Peters at csu.edu wrote:

> increasing). I REALLY would like to avoid buying a new "flying
> saucer". Is there any reason why I can't simply cut a couple of
> inches off the end of the cord. and replace the plug?  If this is
> practical, what do I replace the plug with and where can I get one?
> I'm out of warranty and I don't have AppleCare.

Yes, this is theoretically possible, and shortening the wire will do no
harm.  But finding the plug will be difficult.

Your alternatives are:

(1) Search various connector manufacturers and find if any of them sell this
connector as a standard part.  However, I suspect that plug is custom-made
for Apple.  There is a company called Madsonline which sells nice
replacements for the Apple power supplies.  I have one, but the plug on
their unit is completely different; I suspect they reverse-engineered it
and, like Apple, have it custom-made themselves.  Probably the only way to
get one would be to bribe someone who works for Apple or Madsonline or their
contract manufacturers in the Far East to pick one up off the floor for you.

(2) Carefully scrape the plastic off the old plug, re-solder the wires on,
and then "pot" it in a blob of epoxy.  You'll increase your risk of cancer
if you melt any of the plastic and breathe the vapors.  Also, it will be
difficult to solder if they use cloth-stranded "Litz" wire as is common.
And it will look like hell, but will work fine if you do it correctly.

(3) Buy a used power converter.  As a matter of fact, I'm supposed to get
one I don't need with a used powerbook I'm getting in a couple days.
Contact me off list if you're still interested on Tues or Weds and I'll let
you know what it looks like.  You might also find one on eBay.

--
Jerry Krinock
San Jose, CA   USA

The opinions expressed in this message are those of the signatory and do not
necessarily reflect the policies of the current un-elected United States
government, and vice versa.