[Ti] [OT] Applemusic.com - is the price right?

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Thu May 1 01:46:36 PDT 2003

At 21:37 -0400 29-4-2003, b wrote:
>>>  What is everyone here
>>>  willing to pay per song?
>
>$22.95 per 16 gigabytes

Flipper - your later correction took that to 18 Gb.
If I assume 7 Mb per track, that is about ¢9 per track.
Interesting result!

  My feeling - before any announcement from Apple - was that somewhere
between ¢10 and ¢25 would be the point which represented the
tranformed delivered value: some combination of potential
disadvantages of slightly less quality, no ownership, the need for 7
Mb personal storage; coupled with the advantages of easy preview,
ease of selection, convenient direct delivery, broad choice leading
to convenience of shopping at one point of sale; whilst reflecting a
transformed value chain: the lack of intermmediaries (pressing,
printing, packing, materials, storage, distribution, shipping,
transport, etc)  and assuming that all of that economic cost could be
just stripped out of the value chain, and a very much lower cost
product devliered to the consumer.   Whereas what I see is about the
same cost at the consumer level (on the previous basis that I stated
of $1/track on a CD) with me wondering who is taking all that extra
added value?
Of course, Apple have promoted this concept as a leading-edge
digitial technology breakthrough - which it is - don't get me wrong,
this whole idea is innovative, creative, well masterminded,
brilliantly implemented.  They have not tried to show how technology,
and through that re-configuration of the value chain, can bring
(could bring) economic value to the consumer.

If there had been a clear economic advantage (rather than a broad
equivalence), one could almost make a financial case, for regular
music buyers, that buying an Apple/OS X would actually save their
money in their new digital lifestlye (to use Apple terminology).  At
¢25/track, you would possibly break-even on the Powerbook ourchase
price if you bought the equivalent of 200 music CDs during its
lifetime (order-of-magnitude calculation).

Just some things to think about.

regards,  Trevor