I won't sign the petition [was: Canadians need not apply!]

Eduard Hoenkamp hoenkamp at acm.org
Thu May 1 07:43:17 PDT 2003

I am unhappy with the petition page mentioned in this digest
http://www.petitiononline.com/AppleInt/petition.html which notes:
"the ability to buy music from countries other than the U.S. is not
available". Yet, iTunes tells me: "you won't be able to purchase
music unless your billing[!] address is in the United States". Even
if in practice this may amount to the same for many people, the
petition seems to express that Apple acts in bad faith. I am not
'dismayed' as the petition declares, perhaps disappointed. But this
says something about me, and not about Apple. I would like to grant
Apple the time needed to finesse its license and purchasing issues
abroad, as these must be hairy issues. Perhaps to test my ploint, I
wake up my sleeping billing address in the US and see if I can use
this to purchase music even while living abroad. I suggest Apple adds
a line about the reason for the expressed policy. Eduard.