[Ti] I won't sign the petition [was: Canadians need not apply!]

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Thu May 1 10:55:12 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 06:32 PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:43:17 +0200
> From: Eduard Hoenkamp <hoenkamp at acm.org>
> Subject: [Ti] I won't sign the petition [was: Canadians need not
> apply!]
>
> I am unhappy with the petition page mentioned in this digest
> http://www.petitiononline.com/AppleInt/petition.html which notes:
> "the ability to buy music from countries other than the U.S. is not
> available". Yet, iTunes tells me: "you won't be able to purchase
> music unless your billing[!] address is in the United States". Even
> if in practice this may amount to the same for many people, the
> petition seems to express that Apple acts in bad faith. I am not
> 'dismayed' as the petition declares, perhaps disappointed. But this
> says something about me, and not about Apple. I would like to grant
> Apple the time needed to finesse its license and purchasing issues
> abroad, as these must be hairy issues. Perhaps to test my ploint, I
> wake up my sleeping billing address in the US and see if I can use
> this to purchase music even while living abroad. I suggest Apple adds
> a line about the reason for the expressed policy. Eduard.

I said it already. Have a US billing address and iTunes let you happily
download music from everywhere. Tried it, works (Italy, Switzerland and
France). I do not think I need to make another trip. Also, think of it
how weird it would be not to be able to buy music just because you are
on vacation in Europe? :-)

Just get a credit card with a US billing address and start buying music.

Enjoy.

	Massimo