[Ti] 17" Powerbook-Speakers Sleep?

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 14:25:55 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 12:12 PM, Benn wrote:
> One of the first things that I've noticed, though, is that the
> speakers seem to sleep... Example, with no music or other sounds
> playings, I get an IM.  Just before the IM sound comes, I hear a sort
> of pop from the speaker, then the sound plays.  If I'm continually
> sending and receiving messages, it's fine, but if there's some pause,
> it'll do that again.  Is this normal for the 17" powerbook?  have
> others also experienced this?

After a bit of research I found the following knowledge base article:
"In order to increase battery life, Mac OS X versions 10.1.2 and later
turn off your computer's sound hardware when it is not used for 30
seconds. The delay in hearing sounds is the time it takes for the sound
hardware to go from its low power mode to sound production."
I noticed that it only happened while on battery as well, so this was a
relief to know it is normal.  Well, at least the delay is normal...the
pop is kind of obnoxious though.  However, there is a solution,
KeepSoundAwake (i believe this app has been discussed before)
<http://mrfeinberg.com/KeepSoundAwake/>

Benn