[Ti] 4 songs per second

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Fri May 2 06:59:29 PDT 2003

On 5/1/03 7:52 PM, "Mark Dorset" <mark at suburbia.com.au> wrote:

> I might buy something when they;
>
> 1) bother to remember that there's a whole world out there besides the
> U.S.A.

Music karma.
Syria, Israel, Antarctica, Nigeria et al utterly refused for years to
release their music to US markets for decades, and when they did it was
polka. Even UK took 25 years since Robert Johnson recorded in San Antonio.

As far as UK is concerned, they have karma too, as they tax 86 cents for
each 99 cent selection, so Apple would have to charge $2.99 per song to pay
the same royalty's to the lawyers, then Apple, then labels, then
distributors, and then the pennies  leftover to the artists, who distribute
that to the photographer, producer, webmaster, SBC for the use of Frames on
their web site, AOL/Compuserve for the .gifs, BritishTelecom for the
hyperlinks, the soundman, roadies, label artist, the bass player, each of
their agents, and their lawyers, the artist should owe the Apple Store $1.01
for each song purchased.

> 2) actually put some independent label stuff on it. Until then, I'm not
> going to support a service that doesn't support the underdogs and
> leaders of musical innovation.

Because Independents represent everything the corporations are against.
Their musical values and good music make it impossible for them fit into the
scheme of $things. Besides, only the corporate musician can pay the $1.01
for selling their songs, because of the never ending supply of naïve
stockholders who unwittingly pay the difference. Independents would go
bankrupt quickly.