[Ti] Memory Recommendations

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Fri May 2 09:11:07 PDT 2003

OK, I'm going to give a STRONG recommendation AGAINST Coast to Coast
Memory (aka 1-800-4-MEMORY).  Let me just say that their RAM is the
really really cheap stuff, and their failure rate is fairly high.
Trust me; it's worth paying a little extra dough to buy good RAM.
Buying bad RAM can cause random crashes, directory corruption
(sometimes necessitating reformatting your hard drive), it can prevent
booting, or any of about three thousand other problems; bad RAM can
literally cause ANY computer problem, and I should know: in my job as a
repair technician, I've seen most of them.

Anyway, you might want to check out
<http://www.crucial.com/library/quality_page1.asp> where the whole
quality thing is explained much more thoroughly than I will here.  I
would say that I definitely recommend Crucial; our store only sells
Crucial now, but they used to sell the cheapest RAM available.
Sometimes we would get whole shipments of RAM that were bad and would
have to be sent back.  We literally had to pay somebody to just sit at
a small testing machine and test RAM for hours and hours.  I still see
people bringing in computers that have this older RAM which is causing
problems.  I have seen maybe one Crucial module fail, compared to
probably at least 50 or 100 no-name modules.

Now I can't say that you will certainly have problems with Coast to
Coast; I'm just saying that their quality control is probably at least
an order of magnitude or two worse.  I prefer to pay a little more for
a better product than to suffer through endless problems that are
nearly impossible to trace.

Michael Bigley <wakinyan at fuse.net> writes:
> I have had good success with Coast Memory...
> <http://www.coastmemory.com/>

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html