[Ti] [OT} All this 'anti-piracy' stuff

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat May 3 08:25:34 PDT 2003

>The companies that hide behind the RIAA, and abuse the DMCA, deserve
>whatever befalls them, and if the users of Personal Computers wake
>up one day [in the not-too-distant future] to find their every
>movement restricted and/or, monitored, after siding with these lying
>'whiners'...well then, they deserve their limited usage and lack of
>privacy, also.

I agree that this is not a "black and white" issue.  Yes, the bottom
line is stealing is stealing. However, piracy has benefits. As I have
posted to this list before, big companies like M$ and Adobe complain
of piracy, they tolerate a certain amount, as there is surely
technology to nearly eliminate it if desired; but if they completely
eliminate piracy, they open the door for semi-shareware or open
source apps to eat away their market share.

One evidence of this is that Photoshop used to be licensed like
Quark, in that it would search the network before launch to see if
another copy of the same serial number was running. They eliminated
that about the time that "Livepicture" (not sure of the name?) was
making in-roads into Photoshop's market.  Surely there were other
factors, but LivePicture no longer exists.

Janis Ian, among others, has written passionately and empirically
about how peer-to-peer has increased the sale of her music. RIAA and
DMCA in many ways are just as evil, morally and ethically, as
stealing music. Two wrongs don't make a right... there needs to be a
middle ground.  For example, I have bought thousands of dollars worth
of music that is in a format that is no longer reasonably accessible
to me. Am I stealing music if I paid for a cassette, 8-track, LP or
45 (or maybe even a 78!!) of that song or album?
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com