[Ti] [OT} All this 'anti-piracy' stuff

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Sat May 3 10:09:49 PDT 2003

At 11:30 AM -0500 2003.05.03, Loren Schooley wrote:
>The bottom line is that STEALING IS STEALING. Software companies should be
>sued for deliberately skirting anti-warez and hacking implementation in
>their software. XP and other MS apps, such as Terminal Services, is an
>example of successful network anti-serial number activation. Interestingly
>enough, MS successful security activations are in use only by software used
>normally by business, and not by the masses, an example of their being fully
>aware of the consequences of locking down software.

Making money is not stealing. Breaking agreements, including your contracts with society, is dishonesty, and in this case stealing.

People with high moral and ethical standards can be trusted. Their behavior is a visible sign that we can trust them not to harbor inner (hidden) bad will. It's a matter of honesty.

The record companies have the right to decide whether giving away their art for free is stealing or not. Owners of IP have the right to either give it away or to sell it along with agreements on the part of the buyer. If it's to record companies' economic advantage to give music away, then they can do so.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)