[Ti] [OT} All this 'anti-piracy' stuff

XXL xxl at mac.com
Sat May 3 17:48:34 PDT 2003

Quoth the Woz:

> People with high moral and ethical standards can be trusted. Their behavior is
> a visible sign that we can trust them not to harbor inner (hidden) bad will.
> It's a matter of honesty.

Anybody remember Bill Gates talking about "perceived value pricing" many
years back?  Idea is that we wildly overcharge you for something that we
have almost no money  invested in.  Paperback Software was a startup that
was pummeled to death by the "perceived value pricing"' crowd.

When the Mac was introduced in 1984 the goal was to have no software priced
over $99.  But Jobs soon abandoned that idea as none of the pigs at the
software trough were going to tolerate that.

Law is law and I do not advocate theft.  Human behavior MUST be a factor in
all this, though. And when the publishers take the  attitude that customers
are there just to be bled to death then the entire thing breaks down. AS
good deal is a good deal for EVERYONE! But the prevalent idea, best
understood by reading Shawn kings posts, is "I get everything....you get
what crumbs I decide to brush off my table" and greed always wrecks the
entire enterprise.

People will pay  a little extra for quality...  And people will pay a fair
price for value received. But when they perceive that they are being taken
advantage of, you will see things like piracy happen more and more.
-Joel