[Ti] 4 songs per second

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Sun May 4 01:33:40 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 09:02  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 16:21:11 +1000
> Subject: Re: [Ti] 4 songs per second
> From: Mark Dorset <mark at suburbia.com.au>
>

> On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 11:13 Australia/Melbourne, T.L.Miller wrote:
>>> 1) bother to remember that there's a whole world out there besides
>>> the
>>> U.S.A.
>>
>> Surely you can't be believing this!!! Apple doesn't want your money
>> because you're outside the US -- does that make sense?? Don't you
>> think
>> there are legal reasons behind the restrictions?
>
> It's irrelevant - like I said in my original post, "I might buy
> something when...", and then listed the two reasons why I am not going
> be buying from the itunes shop. If the service won't let me shop there
> because I'm not American, what am I meant to do?

The issue has nothing to do with nationality and/or citizenship. It has
to do with international legalese. Actually it is some record labels
which are preventing Apple to go *international*. The service does not
check whether your computer (that is, yourself) is or not located in
the US (IP number check), nor whether you are or not US citizen (does
not ask for nor verify that). What it checks is whether the payment is
done with a card whose billing address is in the US for tax reasons.
There is an article on wired that does explain that.

If you happen to have access (friend/relative/best-buddy) to a credit
card with US billing address you would then be able to download music
from anywhere in the world: no US citizenship test, nor tests to pass
on physical location of your connection.

Finally, the same wired article states that Apple and financial/tax
layers from record companies are ironing out the international issues
as fast as they can. Apple is EAGER to get your Aussie money too: If
they are selling 4 songs a second on US billing addressed credit cards
(note: I did not say US citizens) when they go *international* that
figure could easily triple.

Massimo