[Ti] Is extended use with lid closed advisable?

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed May 7 13:15:15 PDT 2003

At 8:33 PM +0000 5/7/03, Simon Chapman wrote:
>At 11:04 am -0600 7/5/03, Sam Hotchkiss wrote:
>>On Wed, 7 May 2003 6:35AM -0700, Simon Chapman wrote:
>>>  My 15in 1Ghz TiBook spends most of its life with the lid closed,
>>>  driving an
>>>  external Cinema Display. Is this a safe operating mode for extended
>>>  periods
>>>  or will it generate more heat this way? The case doesn't feel hot at
>>>  all to
>>>  the touch. TIA.
>>
>>as long is the unit isn't hot to the youch, I wouldn't worry... although
>>I thought that the ability to drive an ext monitor was disabled with
>>10.2
>>
>>btw, would you like to give me your cinema display? :-D
>
>I don't know about 10.2.0 but this functionality works like a charm in
>10.2.3 and now 10.2.5 albeit I have a DVI port and a DVI-to-ADC adapter.
>
>Sorry - I'm definitely keeping the display! It's only a week old and it's
>23 inches of sheer bliss. No-one else is allowed within a 6ft radius of it.

I can't resist using both displays.  I have built custom hangers to
suspend the 23" display from the ceiling with steel cables(nice to
have a dad with a machine shop), then have my 17" directly under it
and running in dual display mode.  Acres of display real estate.

The 15" was somewhat nicer for this configuration because of the
cables coming out the back, but the 17 of course max's out the
display.

Al of the versions of 10.2 that I have tried work with dual displays.

        Sherman