[Ti] A few quickies for a new switcher...

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed May 7 15:59:39 PDT 2003

At 5:54 PM -0400 5/7/03, Adam Lynch wrote:
>Maybe some of you can help with this...
>
>I'm a recent switcher from a PC laptop running Linux, to a brand-new 15" 1ghz
>PowerBook with 1gb of RAM.
>
>First thing I noticed were problems with 802.11b wireless. In my office, I got
>great speeds from the Cisco AP (running 128-bit WEP). However, at home,
>connecting to a Linksys 4-port wireless router (no WEP), it was frightfully
>slow, even to other hosts on the same net. I got about 700K/sec with the Cisco
>AP, and about 20K/sec with the Linksys AP. Here's the kicker- I
>turned WEP on on
>the Linksys AP (and modified my Airport config in my home profile), and it
>started working great, similar to the Cisco AP. Newest firmware and
>everything.
>Any thoughts?

I don't know about this one.  I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 version 2 in a
couple of locations without WEP, and do not have any problems with
the speed.

>Also, in this model, do the antennas extend around the screen? Some
>places have
>said "later model PowerBooks" did this, but I've also been told the cutesy
>little windows on the body of the unit are the "antenna windows."

Nope, the cutesy little antenna windows are it.  This is sort a weal
link still.  They do work better than the first gen TiBooks, but
still not as well as an iBook or external antennas as far as I can
tell.

      Sherman