[Ti] Timele$$?? Back to Business

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Wed May 7 22:47:55 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/7/2003 4:37:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, xxl at mac.com writes:

> > if I download a copy of that music which I
> > can no longer play from my 8 track, I am not stealing
>
> You are stealing certain parts of the property vested in the owner of the
> rights to that song. See my previous post about the various rights that are
> inherent in the work itself and other that are tied to the
> medium.
> -Joel

Enough already.  There is a "fair use" doctrine in the Copyright law which allows people to make copies of tapes, records, CD's they have already purchased, or radio shows, Broadcast TV shows that are aired into their homes, etc. as long as they do not sell these copies to others which includes giving away the copy to others as gifts (as they do not own rights to "give" the intellectual property away for any reason).

Suggest we get back to the business of the list and for those of you who want to understand the copyright law then go to the following site at Stanford University for research.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

MBurke