[Ti] 10.2.6 update - minor feedback

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed May 7 12:23:57 PDT 2003

Hmmm, if that were true, that would actually sound like *worse* memory
management to me...  To a certain extent, you want as little "free" RAM
as possible in OS X; the inactive category is for things that were once
loaded into RAM, are no longer needed, but are still kept there in case
they are needed again.  This makes the computer faster because it
requires less hard drive access.

Of course, some things will never be used again; once the program is
done with some data, it must be replaced from scratch rather than
replaced from what it was when the program last finished.  But since
the speed of RAM is about 3 orders of magnitude greater than the speed
of the hard drive, it's an optimization worth having.

Peter Krug <pkrug at mac.com> writes:
> I have noticed that memory management may be improved.  I monitor my
> memory with MemoryStick - I have noticed that when applications quit,
> they give their memory space back to "free" memory instead of to
> "inactive" RAM.  I probably won't need to use MacJanitor every other
> hour anymore...

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html