[Ti] non-apple wireless cards

Lee ratman at cq.net
Thu May 8 13:42:10 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 05:33 AM, Anders Adlercreutz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on getting an airport card and base-station for my Ti867
> to use with an adsl-line at home. Having heard of the terrible
> airport-reception of the tibooks I´m thinking of getting something
> else than apple´s own airport, however elegant an internal card would
> be.
> I live in a 2-story 200sqm timber house and would like to be able to
> use it inside as well as, maybe , outside, up to say 10 meters from
> the house.  Would the Airport Card be able to handle that?
> I´m thinking of getting an 3com-card with an retractable X-jack
> antenna to avoid havin protruding parts when carrying my PB around -
> does anyone have any experiences with this one? I couldn´t find it
> liset at the IOxperts site as compatible - are there any other drivers
> around?
> For a base-station I´m considering a D-link  614 or 900 - any
> experiences / better alternatives?
>
> I´d be thankful for any input,
>
> Anders Adlercreutz
> Helsinki, Finland

I tested the IOXperts driver with a Engenius card and it worked fine. I
also used the open source driver at

http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/index.html

which will work too, although a bigger hassle to setup. Other cards to
consider would be a Cisco aironet card because they have native mac
drivers that work. If you want to play with the open source drivers,
there is a mailing list for support.

mailto:wirelessdriver-support-
request at lists.sourceforge.net?subject=subscribe

I'm thinking given your setup, you might be able to get by with the
apple card if the access point was on the 2nd floor. Especially if the
access point had external antennas.

Lee

Lee Wilmeth, Computer Consultant
1104 Cypress CT