TiBook 400 Problem

T.L.Miller tlmiller at mac.com
Thu May 8 16:46:27 PDT 2003

I sold my TiBook 400 on eBay last month and sent it to the buyer's sister
who used it for two weeks without a problem. She sent it FedEx Ground to
the buyer who now says:

"I cannot even get
a start-up tone nor anything on the display, either under battery power
or with the power adapter plugged in or both
the battery and the adapter.

"I reset the programmers button on the back.  I reseated the RAM thinking
it may have shaken loose.  I removed the bottom case to inspect for
damage but none was visible (removing the bottom case is what is needed
to install an Airport card so this is permitted by Apple as a Customer
Installible Part).  I tried pressing the start button (with the power
adapter plugged in) while the bottom case was off and there is an LED
that comes on where the Airport card goes.  This light will stay on as
long as the Powerbook is plugged in but, because I did not have the
battery in place, would go out as soon as I removed the power adapter.
I cannot hear the hard drive spin up either nor are any other lights
visible."

He thinks either it was damaged in shipping (boxes not damaged) or some
hardware failure occurred coincidentally.

Any suggestions? I feel very bad about it, but it was in excellent shape
when I sold it.

Tom Miller