[Ti] Tri Mode Wireless PCMCIA Cards

Lee ratman at cq.net
Thu May 8 18:39:43 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 04:01 PM, Sidney Ho wrote:

> Does anyone know whether multi-mode wireless PC cards such as the
> D-Link
> DWL-AG650 which run 802.11a, b, g will work in a G4-1 ghz Titanium? If
> so,
> in OS X or OS 9.2.2, and at the higher (a, g) or lower speeds (b)?
>
> These are not supported by the manufacturer on Macs but may run in the
> Mac
> OS like other 3rd party (802.11b) cards.

NO. Currently, the only drivers available are for the Prism chipset.
However, somebody has announced they are going to release an OEM driver
for the Broadcom Chip. Whether we'll see a retail version of that
driver remains to be seen. Translation: Current 802.11b cards work.
Except for some of the most recent Orinoco's that switched to a
broadcom chip from the Prism chip. (Broadcom manufactures the chips
that drive the 802.11g card in the newest macs. Prism manufactures the
chip used in the original airport card) Broadcom has not released
enough information for the Linux community to coble together a driver.
Probably because a large portion of the chip is software and not
hardware. Some of the newest technologies are centered around a
"software radio". Depending on the use, you just change the software.

Probably more than you wanted. Basically, if you want 802.11g, you're
going to half to wait.

Lee

Lee Wilmeth, Computer Consultant
1104 Cypress CT