No password protection on Target disk mode?

JFL jfl1970 at mac.com
Thu May 8 21:19:28 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new 17" PowerBook G4 from a
not-so-new Titanium PowerBook G4 (400 MHz).  I was transfering files over
using the firewire target disk mode and quickly discovered that this mode is
NOT password protected under OS X or 9's rudimentary users' passwords;
meaning anyone can take any Mac's files without even the simplest of
protection schemes.

My question to all is, is there a freeware or shareware fix to this?  Or is
there some setting in OS X that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

- Jeff