[Ti] Command and function keys

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Fri May 9 09:35:31 PDT 2003

on 03/05/09 08:20, Trevor J. Hutley at hutley at geneva-link.ch wrote:

> At 12:04 PM +0100 5/9/03, Joel Hopwood wrote:
>> Here's an easy one for you guys: I have a TiBook 667/DVI. How do I make
>> the function keys behave as function keys without the Fn modifer held
>> down?
>>
>> In other words I want to reverse the current behaviour.
>
> There is an option available in this utility that does that for you,
> except for F5 (Number Lock) at the present time:
>
> http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol    v 1.3.2 is the latest
>
> Real Function Keys
> Removes the need to hold down the fn key to access the function keys
> (useful on laptops).

I was really happy to read about ucontrol  until I found that it does not
fix the F5 key.  There is another way, which was contributed to this list by
Joao Carlos de Pinho about a month ago:

Boot into OS9
Control Panels
Keyboard
Function Keys
Check: "Enable Hot Function Keys"
Uncheck: "Use F1 thru F12 for Hot Function Keys"

Unfortunately, you have to re-do this any time you install an OS update,
such as 10.2.4 --> 10.2.5.  But that's not too bad since you've already
restarted to do the update anyhow.

And, it fixes ALL your function keys.

Jerry Krinock
San Jose, CA   USA