[Ti] Most expensive iTunes download (OT)

Colin Buttimer c.buttimer at mdx.ac.uk
Sat May 10 11:10:43 PDT 2003

Steve wrote:
> It may be that textual information and graphics are withheld by the record
> companies as something you get if you buy the physical CD.
Perhaps, but the net effect is an interesting but perhaps rather distressing
(for some) 'floating free' of the music from its context. I might suggest
that this dissociation does not necessarily do the record companies any
favours because it reduces the number of trails by which potential
purchasers discover similar or associated artists.  I'm aware of the
Amazon-like functionality of 'purchasers also chose...', but that is only at
point of sale, not enduringly like a cd booklet's information. Surely it
would be very simple for the digital format to include comprehensive textual
information as part of the file. As Massimo says perhaps this is an early
stage, but I doubt that there's an intention to revisit the thousands upon
thousands of files and re-enter information.

> A while back Steve Jobs asked if I'd like getting the album cover graphics
> with songs and my reply was that what I'd really like is the lyrics with every
> MP3 song. All of the text related to albums (song authors, musicians, credits,
> commentary) is very important to me. This is not a problem when I load my own
> CD's into iTunes, but it is for purchased music from Apple's store.
Agreed.

Jenn wrote:
> I've really enjoyed Bluegrass over the years but have never really
> paid attention to any specific groups/artists (nor do I think I have
> any CD's in my own collection right now). Since this isn't a specific
> genre available to search in the Music Store, does anyone have
> suggestions (under country or folk maybe??) for some good
> Bluegrass?
Well I'm no expert, but there's the archetypal bluegrass of the Carter
Family and also Jimmie Rodgers.

All the best,

Colin.