[Ti] buy now at great price or wait

Jeffrey K. Lew jklew at ucla.edu
Sat May 10 16:38:41 PDT 2003

>Ok, I KNOW this is a question that gets asked all the time.  And I
>know the correct answer to it is "buy if you need it now, wait if
>you don't need it - try to be happy with whatever your choice is."
>
>So I just want a few opinions, and here is the choice I am faced with.
>
>Our university has evidently negotiated a fairly decent price on the
>15" Titaniums.  Even our computer store manager says this is most
>likely because Apple is looking to move them in anticipation of
>bringing out new models.

It could also just be a "special purchase"--the store buys a big lot
and gets a big discount. At UCLA, we have a long-running special on 1
GHz 15" Ti's for $1999 plus tax, includes 3-yr. Applecare.

At the same time, there's a special on the 17" Al: $2999 plus tax,
includes 3-yr. Applecare. I don't think they're trying to reduce
stock of the 17".

Jeff Lew
UCLA Atmospheric Sciences