[Ti] [OT] iTunes 4 mp3 encoding question

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Wed May 14 01:27:34 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 04:39  am, Bill Reburn wrote:

> Just brought home two CD's and when I went to rip them into the
> computer for
> the iPod I received a message stating that my chosen encoding rate
> (48khz)
> was not available. I changed it to 44khz and it went fine.
>
> Anyone else experience this? I am in the middle of a move so I don't
> have
> any of my older CD's to test with. I have had it set at 48.. for like,
> ever.
> Is this new since iTunes 4?

sounds like a new feature and a sensible one, but the message it gave
is not much use :)

You should always leave the sampling at "Auto" setting and let iTunes
choose the correct rate.

Did you know that to rip audio from a CD you should be at 44.1 Khz?

Previously if you forced it to use 48, it would introduce an extra
resampling phase between 44.1 and 48, for no good reason, and at
possible loss of fidelity.

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue