[Ti] [OT] iTunes 4 mp3 encoding question

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Wed May 14 16:44:11 PDT 2003

At 9:49 AM -0700 2003.05.14, Sam Hotchkiss wrote:

>aiff or wav, but you're talking about 10 megs a minute or so-- there is another one, called doggy or piggy or something, that is pretty much lossless, but its only about 5 megs per minute-- i'll look into it and get back with you

Heres what a friend (Andy Hertzfeld) had to say:

     There are two lossless formats widely used by collectors.   The more established one is called Shorten (.shn files), which has been around for around five years or so.  A newer one is called FLAC (.flac file), which is a couple years old but gaining momentum.   My Dylan server uses Shorten.  A good place to find out more about the lossless formats is http://www.etree.org.

-- Andy
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)