[Ti] Firewire Ports

Dave Friesen davefriesen at mac.com
Thu May 15 17:26:20 PDT 2003

Regardless of what "techniques" people suggest the only way to prevent this from happening is to use the FW Cable from FWDepot. Somehow, the additional voltage is reaching the FW port. Unless you know the most intricate details of your particular device you won't know how.

All the other options are taking a chance with the port. Hence the reason Apple implemented a fix for the DVI and later Powerbooks.

So, is Apple going to release a "best practices" document? They aren't even going to admit there IS a problem!

For desktop owners they have the option of a PCI Firewire card, for laptop owners we don't, aside from an unpowered CardBus.