[Ti] Zeroing drive?

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Fri May 16 05:49:41 PDT 2003

>On Thu, 15 May 2003 1:55AM -0700, Per Brodersen wrote:
>>   and was
>>  was wondering how to erase the drive *completely*.
>>  What software would you use and recommend?
>
>if the information is highly sensitive(gov't/corporate secrets), the
>only answer is to physically destroy the drive, if its just
>personal, you would be fine to just zero out the data on the drive
>using apple's disk utility (I think you still can, I know you could
>in os 9), this should render the data unretreivable without
>dissembling the drive and retrieving the data manually, bit by bit,
>using a microscope and a lot of patience.

the erase feature (Wipe Info) in Norton Utilities is DOD certified, btw.

go to their site and search on "DOD". several products support this,
such as Ghost, though i've only used Norton Utils / System Works. You
can erase from the CD is you don't want to install it, btw.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.