[Ti] External Display Power

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Fri May 16 11:35:36 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 06:53  PM, Alex wrote:

> I had a disturbing experience with my Ti at a meeting today.
> I was giving a talk with two associates [ both PC users :-( ] they
> were using Powerpoint and I Keynote.
> Happy to know that my presentation would be that much swisher I
> plugged in the DVI to VGA adapter and could not get the Ti to push a
> coherent signal to the projector!
> I checked the leads (9m of high quality VGA lead) which both a Dell
> and a Gateway were using with no problems
> I have used my Ti with projectors before and have had no problems, so
> I was wondering if anyone knew if the Ti's VGA signal, via the
> convertor is of a lesser power than a standard VGA signal from a port
> native the laptop?

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't
have any setup time to play with it (the audience was already seated
and waiting). But I did have a QuickTime backup which I was able to
play through the projector. So it's not a hardware issue with the
TiBook, but rather a Keynote/VRAM issue.

In my case, I have the TiBook 667 (Gigabit Ethernet), which was the
last version before DVI and only had 16MB VRAM. I think if I had played
with Keynote's Presentation preferences, I might have been able to make
it work by not mirroring the presentation on the TiBook's display, or
by having my speaker's notes on the TiBook and the slides on the
projector.

There was a Knowledge Base article on this:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61828>.

Mark