[Ti] iTunes question

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat May 17 23:36:45 PDT 2003

Try turning off Sound Check in iTunes (if the problem occurs on the
computer too) and in the iPod settings.  Sound Check will increase or
reduce the volume of songs to reach a predetermined average volume
level; if either device attempts to amplify the volume too much, you
get clipping; the amplitude of the sound wave can't go as high as it
needs to be able to, so you hear pops where the wave is squared off at
the maximum level.  The places that it pops depends on the particular
song and its preamplified volume.
Sound Check doesn't run on CDs, so you shouldn't really encounter
problems there, unless you're using the equalizer (especially the
preamp).

Cyn <flanders1 at charter.net> writes:
> I imported some of my music cd's to my new iPod. I noticed that some
> songs have what sounds like the old vinyl record skipping as if there
> were a little tiny scratch on an album and the needle skips just for
> a quick moment. Why does it do this on the iPod and not the CD? Would
> doing things in the back ground while copying the cd to the iPod have
> anything to do with this?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html