[Ti] Dual monitor crash on PB667

Wayne Swingle swingle at ca.inter.net
Mon May 19 20:07:14 PDT 2003

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 08:37  PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> When running dual displays with a 16 MB video card, there isn't enough
> VRAM to support Quartz Extreme; you're running plain Quartz.  Since
> it's always on the external monitor, you might want to try running the
> Apple Hardware Test CD that came with your computer.  You might also
> try an archive and install of OS X 10.2 (or later).
>
> Wayne Swingle <swingle at ca.inter.net> writes:
>> I am experiencing system lockups since upgrading to OS 10.25 and 10.26
>> on PB 667, when using an external display as well as the built-in LCD.
>> When resizing, moving, or minimizing a window on the external VGA
>> monitor, the system will completely freeze forcing a hard restart. Any
>> insight? Are the graphics enhancements in quartz extreme overtaxing
>> the
>> built-in 16 meg Radeon Mobility?

How can you tell if you are running Quartz or Quartz extreme?  I
absolutely need to run 10.2.5 at the latest for the pro audio software
I use, and to be able to access the Magma Cardbus PCI expansion
chassis.  The freeze only occurs in OSX, If i boot into classic, all is
fine.  When minimizing to the Dock, if a crash occurs, you can see the
animation go by, about a frame a minute, until the beachball starts to
spin.  The machine will no longer respond to a force quit, once this
happens.  There are no problems at all running two monitors in OS
10.2.5 or 10.2.6, if all my work is done on the powerbook LCD.  A crash
will occur when  a window resize type of operation is attempted on the
external, though not every time, but almost.  Thanks for your input.  I
had seen some utility that would bypass quartz entirely for slower
computers, I may try it.