[Ti] Dual monitor crash on PB667

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon May 19 22:02:01 PDT 2003

>How can you tell if you are running Quartz or Quartz extreme?  I
>absolutely need to run 10.2.5 at the latest for the pro audio
>software I use, and to be able to access the Magma Cardbus PCI
>expansion chassis.  The freeze only occurs in OSX, If i boot into
>classic, all is fine.  When minimizing to the Dock, if a crash
>occurs, you can see the animation go by, about a frame a minute,
>until the beachball starts to spin.  The machine will no longer
>respond to a force quit, once this happens.  There are no problems
>at all running two monitors in OS 10.2.5 or 10.2.6, if all my work
>is done on the powerbook LCD.  A crash will occur when  a window
>resize type of operation is attempted on the external, though not
>every time, but almost.  Thanks for your input.  I had seen some
>utility that would bypass quartz entirely for slower computers, I
>may try it.

This sounds more like the Finder crashing than a Quartz Extreme
issue; as has been mentioned, if you don't have enough vram, QE just
doesn't run.  Finder is, unfortunately, probably the crappiest app in
OSX right now.

Try this: Create a new user, logout and login as the new user. Does
the problem persist? If no, then you know it is related to something
specific to your current user. Deleting Finder  prefs
(com.apple.finder.plist in your User/Library/Preferences) may help.

If yes, then your problem is System or Disk related; First and
foremost, I would check your fonts. FontDoctor X for Macintosh is a
pretty good app for doing this; the demo version will look at your
fonts and tell you which ones are bad, but will not repair them. Also
boot into single user mode and run fsck -y; if that fails then boot
from CD and run disk first aid.

Another thing that may help identify the problem is to go to your
Utilities folder and open the app called Console; go to your
preferences and under the crashes tab click on both options; move the
console window over to your LCD and do something that will cause the
crash, watch the console window and see what is causing the crash. Oh
and errors like this:

WindowServer[181]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection
0xac17 for over 1.000000 seconds

Happen regularly in OSX, it is a bug, but have been happening on
numerous (probably all) boxen since v10.0.  Another note is not to
run Console all the time, as it will affect system performance. It is
really meant for troubleshooting.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com