[Ti] Keyboard heeelp!

Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Tue May 20 05:26:52 PDT 2003

At 03:08 +0300 20-5-2003, Ray M wrote:
>Ok did all of the above!
>Tried reinstalling os9 ... Same problem... Even under os9 the keyboard won't
>work... But under osx no problem!!!!
>
>Any solution?
>I desperately need os9 for quark 4.0
>
>Ray running TiBook 667/512 Ram/ OSX 10.2.6/ Os9 9.2.2
>
>on 5/19/03 12:50, Trevor J. Hutley at hutley at geneva-link.ch wrote:
>
>>  At 10:44 +0300 19-5-2003, Ray M wrote:
>>>  My keyboard has stopped responding under classic!
>>>  All started up this morning I was working under osx 10.2.6 with classic on
>>>  quark express suddenly the computer made a strange noise (kind of
>>>music like
>>>  old computer's music) then the keyboard stopped responding.
>>
>>  Ray - I have read - as perhaps many others - your posting, but I have
>>  no idea what is happening to you!
>>
>>>  I've restarted my computer and every time now I start classic I
>>>get the same
>>>  noise and the keyboard won't work under classic!
>>>  Any solution for this I need to work under classic on quark and I can't
>>>  always switch between both systems.... Heeelp.
>>
>>  I am not sure how I can help.
>>  This is what I always try to do:
>>
>>  define specifically the problem.
>>
>>  1. model and OS
>>  2. Does the keyboard work under X (so that we know the keyboard is OK)
>>  3. does the keyboard work under OS9 (so that we know OS9 is OK with
>>  the keyboard)
>>
>>  Are you saying that when Classic is launched, the keyboard no longer
>>  responds at all, either in X or Classic.  Or that it does not respond
>>  in Classic?
>>
>>  I always start Classic after X is running.  I think there are less
>>  issues (especially to do with copy and paste) that way.  When do you
>>  launch Classic ?
>>
>>  Your problem seems to be related to the Classic emulation (subject to
>>  confirmation from the above answers).
>>
>>  If I was you, I would re-install 10.2.6 from the Combo update.  When
>>  you then launch Classic, it should prompt you for permission to
>>  update the Classic environment.  This might (?) fix your problem.
>>
>>  If this does not, I would then re-install Classic, then re-install
>>  10.2.6 from the Combo update.
>>
>>  Now, it may also be the case that your problem is more deep-rooted
>>  than just a corrupted file or preference.  RAM or mnotherboard
>>  problems can manifest themselves in strange ways.
>>
>>  Did you run the Hardware test CD for your Ti?
>>
>>  I am assuming that you have done all the "maintencance" things:
>>  rebuilt the desktop in Classic, repaired permissions and privileges
>>  using Disk Utility 10.2, etc.
>>
>>  Has any of the above been of help ?
>>  Please bear in mind that I am just a power-user, I am a scientist and
>  > engineer, but I have no Apple technical training....

Ray - well, this does seem rather unusual and complex.  I only wish I
could really help.
On one hand, it seems that the keyboard is OK, as it functions fine
with 10.2.6.
Yet under Classic and even under 922 it does not work.
That seems to me to still be a software rather than hardware issue.

Two further ideas (what I would do):

1. did you zap the PRAM (restart with option-dmd-P-R held down until
you hear "the chimes" ?

2. did you press the hard reset (onmy Ti-500 it is a tiny concave
button near the port for the modem)

3. did you try booting in to OS9 from a CD and seeing if the keyboard
works in OS9 from the CD

All I can suggest for the moment.

regards,  Trevor