[Ti] mem_/2/4

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Tue May 20 20:26:17 PDT 2003

Most memory problems are intermittent and hard to detect.  It must be
pretty bad if Apple Hardware Test caught it.  Any error in AHT that is
of the format "mem/x/x" (x is any number) means the memory is bad, no
exceptions.
Following the error, it should tell you which DIMM is bad, though I'm
not sure if it will be in human-readable format.  Your best bet is to
remove one DIMM at a time and see if you continue to have problems,
assuming you have two installed.  If you have two from the same vendor,
it's even possible that both are bad; once Apple Hardware Test
encounters one error, it stops immediately.

Anyway, AHT's memory checking is pretty much 100% accurate when
reporting *bad* memory: if it tells you your memory is bad, then your
memory *IS* bad.  However, just because your memory passes the tests
doesn't mean that it is actually *GOOD.*

JELyon <jelyon at mac.com> writes:
> Looks like my memory problem is intermittent. Got the noted error
> message checking RAM last night, but switching chips did not help
> isolate the issue.
>
> Anyone have any relevant experience with poss. bad/flakey ram
> chips/slots and this specific error reported by Apple Hardware Test?

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html