Fwd: [Ti][OT] iPod copy on Big Al

A.J.Bos Arjan.Bos at icu.nl
Thu May 22 13:06:12 PDT 2003

On donderdag, mei 22, 2003, at 00:50 Europe/Amsterdam, Loren Schooley
wrote:

> On 5/21/03 2:13 PM, "A.J.Bos" <Arjan.Bos at icu.nl> wrote:
>
> No matter what or how I try to write to an ipod, I don't have enuff
> permission.
>
> iTunes and other programs can write 777 i.e. -rwxrwxrwx
>
> But with dd, ditto, touch, cp et super sudo al all that I can do is:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x
Which file has this properties? All my music is like -rwxrwxrwx and
changing other files to that is a piece of cake. Copying files from the
desktop to my iPod Control directory works, although I only copied one
.pdf file.

> *shrug*

I take it you're the owner of the iPod? like in:

drwxrwxrwx  22 arjanbos  unknown    748 May  9 11:38 Music

which is the Music directory on my iPod (within /Volumes/Arjan Bos's
iPod/iPod_Control )

If not, you could used chown (for change owner) to change the owner of
the file / directory. See 'man chmod' for more details.
'Cause if root isn't the owner and when only the owner is allowed to
write, your still stuck. Well only partly, since root can change the
owner of the file / directory.

And you tried chmod a+w to give everyone write access (man chmod)? I
don't know if this is wise, security wise, but it makes live easier
sometimes.

HTH

-- Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind -- (Terry
Pratchett)