[Ti] The new books

cheshirekat cheshirekat at cheshirekat.com
Thu May 22 21:23:24 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 22, 2003, Cyn flanders1 at charter.net, invoked powers within
the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>I too recently discovered my music addiction. I purchased a 30gig
>iPod and also enjoy listening to audio books. People laugh because I
>either have the computer in my lap or some gadget attached to me.

I take the train in to work. Only a few people are on at the time I
usually hop on. Last week, there was a new guy - young, tall ... and
carrying a new iPod. He'd been joining the ride for about a week. Only
other person on the train was a buddy from work who was much taller than
the "iPod kid" sitting across from him.

My buddy and I had our coffee and were fairly perky. The "iPod kid" was
slovenly and oblivious to the noticeable lack of caffeine aura of his
profile. I guess he thought he could sail into the day by the wires of
his iPod and a song.

So, I leaned forward in my seat and said, "Thanks for buying me a new
iPod." Then, while looking straight into the "iPod kid's" face, I said to
my co-worker, "I bet I could take him and get myself an iPod."

The kid's eyes went from my face to my co-worker's, who only shrugged and
said matter-of-factly, "Well, she is still on a 'been shopping at the
Music Store' high - little as she is, it could still be dangerous."

"And no witnesses." I added.

I couldn't believe how the kid just looked down at his iPod as if
considering whether it would be easier to just hand over his iPod without
a struggle. My buddy and I laughed hard. (I'm barely 5'1 and about as
tough-looking as an undernourished worm.) It was a short ride, but we
noticed how the "iPod kid" turned so he could keep his eyes on me for the
rest of the trip. I eyed his iPod the entire time.

We all got off at the same station, and as we were walking into the same
building, with the "iPod kid" walking between my co-worker and I, my co-
worker said, "You definitely could have taken him, but then, the iTunes
Store would get the rest of your grocery money." The kid found enough
energy to make a speedy beeline up the stairs. We were laughing even
harder as we got on the elevator. I haven't seen the iPod kid since then.

Yeah. I can just picture myself on a "Most Wanted" poster. My PowerBook
would love an iPod little sister, but becoming an outlaw for a sleek
package of songs?

Well, maybe. It would be the dynamic duo of iTunes immersion.

cheshirekat