[Ti] transcription software/hardware ideas for Ti?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Fri May 23 09:18:12 PDT 2003

>Hardware question:  is there some way to record an interview, and
>then stick the whatever-removeable-media-card into the free pci slot
>in my Ti, so I can work with the interview on my Ti, without having
>to transfer it in real time?

I was perusing the Sharper Image catalog this morning and saw a
digital recorder that uses 32mb of "flash" memory, for 2 hours of
high quality digital recording. If it is removable memory, that would
solve part of your problem, then possibly edit it in Quicktime Pro or
some such. I have no knowledge of apps that will turn digital sound
into text, except for ViaVoice, which is actually the best rated app
on the market.

Problems with ViaVoice occur when background noise is not constant
and/or if the app is improperly "trained".  I have heard that results
are excellent with proper training and background noise is constant
(as in NONE).  If you have trouble with background noise (people
talking loud as they walk by your office, for example), then spending
the money on a high-quality directional mic may be a solution.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com