[Ti] Apple's Future

NaegeleWDC at aol.com NaegeleWDC at aol.com
Mon May 26 15:50:54 PDT 2003

Steve Wozniak <steve at woz.org> writes:

"What you missed was the fact that I was questioning how 'on topic' the article itself was, in respect to some issues clearly pertaining to this list."

I missed nothing.

For most who subscribe to this list, I believe the article in question (see http://online.wsj.com/wsjgate?subURI=/barrons/article/0,,SB105373886453737100,00.html&nonsubURI=/article_barrons_email/0,,SB105373886453737100,00.html ) and others like it give all of us a good sense of where Apple is going, and how market analysts view the company's future.

Obviously most of us have invested lots of money in Apple products, and the future of Apple is important to us, certainly with respect to future investment decisions (e.g., Ti's, Big Al's).  For a long time, I held off buying Apple products because I was unsure of the company's future.  Recently, despite an ever-declining market share, I believe Steve Jobs is doing a fine job.

He has amassed a considerable amount of cash; his products are state of the art in many respects; customer service (certainly with AppleCare) is back to where it used to be; and lots of us are more bullish about Apple's future than we were only a short while ago.  Indeed, I seriously considered switching to Windows machines because of problems that I and others were encountering with Apple, as noted on this list and elsewhere.

To Steve Jobs' credit (and owing to his vision), he seems to have the company on the right path, although -- as this article and others point out -- he has a long way to go, certainly in the eyes of those who analyze the company's future.

Finally, MBurke writes:

"Fact is the article was inter[e]sting. But the concern Shawn King and Steve Wozniak expressed to your post is as interesting if not more so. One deals with the future of Apple, the other deals with future of intellectual property."

Again, with due respect to MBurke, it would seem that some people are most interested in counting angels on the heads of pins.  Also, there are other lists that deal with intellectual property issues and other legal matters.

I would hope that this list would be concerned with (1) solving our Mac-related problems; (2) disseminating useful information about our products and future products; and (3) providing all of us with information about Apple's future because that bears directly on our decisions to buy Apple products or not.

Heaven knows, since I joined this list, there has been an abundance of useful information about Apple products and Apple's future, and that is one of the values of the list.

Best wishes,

Tim Naegele

www.naegele.com