[Ti] Grey screen crash?

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Wed May 28 07:29:34 PDT 2003

On 5/28/03 9:16 AM, "Selwyn Ward" <selwyn.ward at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Just suffered my first crash in OSX.  At least that's what I guess it was.
> I'm using my 17"Al when suddenly what looks like a pull-down shade runs down
> the screen from top to bottom, making entire screen contents look grey
> tinted. A notice appears (carrying the power button logo) announcing in
> multiple languages that the computer needs to be restarted.  No buttons work
> except the power/restart buttons.  Anyone else encountered this?

Yes, this is the newer, "friendlier" kernel panic screen introduced with
Jaguar. Prior to Jaguar, you might have just seen a DOS-like screen full of
incomprehensible white text on a black background.

I've only seen these when I've had hardware problems. Bad RAM can be one
cause. I've also gotten it when powering down the Echo Indigo sound PC card.
It doesn't "play nicely" with Jaguar, and I can only remove it safely when
the TiBook is sleeping or powered down already.

I'm not saying there can't be software glitches/corrupted preferences/etc.
That might cause this. It's just that my experience has all been
hardware-related.
--
Mark