[Ti] OT: Funniest Windows user rave in years

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Wed May 28 09:07:34 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/28/2003 10:35:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, glenn at austin-home.com writes:

> Also remember - the Steve Jobs who runs Apple is *the same* Steve Jobs who
> runs Pixar.
>
> Sometimes these things have a lot of synergy.  In this case, isn't Pixar a
> "member" of MPAA and RIAA?  That can make a lot of difference when dealing
> with an organization if it is someone associated instead of
> an outsider.

NAPSTER showed that the recording industry did not understand the full implications of electronic media, (computers, CD's, and software) and their effect on the recording industry.  The recording industry's field of expertise has historically not embraced future technologies and instead has worked diligently to protect their existing turf.  The overthrow of the recording industry's dominance actually started in the mid 1980's with the invention of MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) which severely undermined a bastion of the music industry, the recording studio.  After midi came the growth of home studios.  MIDI technology changed the industry and dropped studio prices from $350 per hour to $75 per hour in the course of 15 years.

The Internet changed the distribution channels of the recording industry in ways they were not prepared to deal with much less understand.  Few salaried employees of recording companies at the launch of the Internet had little or any idea of how or what MP3 worked much less what they would become.  Apple's relationship changed all that.

Apple, under Steve Jobs, gives the recording industry a symbiotic relationship with a technology based company who has made a reputation as THE computer company for the arts.  Jobs genius was to helm a group of marketers from Apple who pitched RIAA members (record companies) on how a symbiotic relationship would help them to gain an incredibly strong foothold on a new and, I might add, cheaper distribution system.  Imagine, all Internet, no shipping, market specific advertising.  Good lord, that was the pitch the desperate music industry was praying for and Jobs knew it.  And good for him.

MBurke