[Ti] Grey screen crash?

Obrecht, Jerry A Jerry.A.Obrecht at mdnt.com
Wed May 28 10:55:04 PDT 2003

> Just suffered my first crash in OSX.  At least that's what I guess it was.
> I'm using my 17"Al when suddenly what looks like a pull-down shade runs down
> the screen from top to bottom, making entire screen contents look grey
> tinted. A notice appears (carrying the power button logo) announcing in
> multiple languages that the computer needs to be restarted.  No buttons work
> except the power/restart buttons.  Anyone else encountered this?
As another poster pointed out, this is a kernal panic.  Can be caused by hardware (RAM or USB hubs malperforming, or other HW problems) and/or software.

I experienced one panic that was caused by "bad" permissions.  If you are still experiencing the problem, run the Fix Permissions from the pull-down menus of the Install DVD.  You will need to restart from the DVD, then go to the Install menu and select Fix Permissions.  It has been a while, so my memory may not be right on the exact name of the menu selections.  Although you are using the Install DVD, you don't want to re-install your software...just run Fix Permissions.

Jerry