[Ti] Slightly OT - Recommendation for a PC(!) notebook?

Joseph Fisher kzfisher at earthlink.net
Thu May 29 19:59:48 PDT 2003

Solution one: My father-in-law is one of those stuck with Windows pgms.
because of his work.  He purchased a 1.4 GHz Averatec 3150P sub-notebook at
Office Depot for $800 after rebates. Averatec is the former Sotec. I just
got an e-mail from Sam's Club and they're selling a 1.2GHz Sotec also at
$800 but no rebate needed. I can't speak to the company, customer relations,
or product durability - they are just one of the endless stream of WinTel
notebooks out there, but I've actually seen this one and thought it wasn't
half bad considering.

Solution two: (1) Get a used PowerBook G3 Pismo (durable, proven, & stylish
at good price) (2) Get an older version of Virtual PC, unless you need VPC 6
with Win XP for your version of QuickBooks. I'd go with VPC 5 & Win 98 SE.
(check e-bay).  I actually found a copy of VPC 5 with Win 98 at a Staples
store for $65 just a few months ago. VPC will do a great job with Win apps
on a MAC. From experience, I daily use VPC and the Win only programs
MetaStock, (a stock charting pgm) and MS Publisher 98 (a long story why). I
imagine QuickBooks would work great on VPC 5.

-- Joseph