[Ti] WorldText Was:Taking a US computer to Europe

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Fri May 30 21:47:34 PDT 2003

Well, thot I'd check Google, quickly found this which may be
worth reporting, summary of several unicode-capable editors
for OSX:
<http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities_editors_macosx.html>
And from the linked similar page for OS9, re WorldText:
"It can be found in the WorldText folder in the CD Extras folder on
the Mac OS 9.1 CD-ROM."

The OSX page doesn't list WorldText, but the version I got from the
circa mid-2002 Developers Tools runs fine in OSX without starting
Classic.  GetInfo shows it as ver 1.2, March 2002 date.  (The
version on my OS9.2 install CD shows as ver 1.0, Sept 2000)

Google for my search "worldtext download mac OR macintosh" got 96
hits, of which approx 40+ were shown.  None at a skim look seemed
to offer download of WorldText.

Searching "worldtext" at Apple Support found noting useful, tho a
May 2001 mention that WorldText was on install CDs from OS9.1.

An excerpt from the file "About Unicode", I guess originally from
the Unicode folder on an OS9.2 install CD:
"The application WorldText has a menu item for Font Substitution; this
menu item will search all installed fonts and find the ones needed to
display your document. See WorldText Help for further information."

As I recall you install both Unicode support and WorldText to get
full use-?  I checked out various asian fonts when I installed both in
OS9.2; in OSX I've just done a quick try to verify that WT copy does
work in OSX, and there seems to be no Unicode folder in the Dev Tools.